Posted by: admin Post Date: March 27, 2017
Topic: Challenging behaviour in Dementia
Facilitator: Dr Anubhuthi Upadhyay, MBBS, DPM (Psychiatry)
Date: 27th May 2017 from 11.30am-1pm
Place: Zeba Bashiruddin Centre for Healthy Ageing- ARSDI-Hyderabad Deccan Activity Centre
- The session was attended by an audience of 18 people. It was a mix audience of family caregivers and professional carers (attenders). The talk began with a brief introduction to the speaker, Dr Anubhuthi after which she started the session explaining challenging behavior and psychological symptoms in dementia.
- She gave a brief on “what is dementia” and “what are the common symptoms that are observed”. Further on she elaborated the medical causes of behavioral changes in people with dementia and emphasized on understanding the medical symptoms that causes the challenging behavior.
- She proceeded her talk with explaining the importance of communication in dementia and how it is different from normal communication. As people with dementia looses the ability of reasoning and comprehension there is constant change in their behavior as well.
- Dr Anubhuthi spoke about the psychological behaviors like hallucinations, delusions, wandering and how to cope with them. After her talk there was a open discussion with the caregivers.
- The caregivers asked her specifically regarding the challenging behaviours their relatives with dementia exhibit which were answered by the speaker in detail.