- Nori Graham
Topic: Understanding dementia
Facilitator: Dr Nori graham, Vice president, Alzheimer’s Disease international
Date: 23rd February, 2017
Place: International Conference on Services for the Elderly, ITC Kakatiya, Begumpet, Hyderabad
- The talk was held as one of the sessions of The International Conference on Services for the Elderly held by Heritage Foundation and was attended by close to 50 participants comprising of caregivers of dementia and other neurological issues, students of psychology and other fields of healing.
- The talk commenced with Dr Graham’s description of when forgetfulness can start to become a symptom of dementia, and other different symptoms of dementia.
- She then spoke of the importance of getting an accurate diagnosis and the difficulty in ensuring the same.
- She then spoke of the different types of dementia and the key features of each kind of dementia.
- She then elaborated on the different tips for people with dementia and specific issues that caregivers faced.
- She spoke about tips for caregivers like helpful ways of communication and tips for leading a healthy lifestyle.
- Lastly she spoke about the need for care homes for both people with dementia and caregivers.
- Several participants asked questions about different issues they are currently facing with their kin who have dementia. Dr Graham answered many questions related to problems with behaviour, communication, diagnosis of the disease and caregiver stress.