Advanced dementia care
Topic: Advanced dementia care
Facilitator: Dr Priya Kumari and Ms Vineela, Pain and Palliative Care Organisation
Date: 31st Mar 2017 from 11.30am-1pm
Place: Zeba Bashiruddin Centre for Healthy Ageing- ARSDI-Hyderabad Deccan activity centre
- The talk began with a brief introduction to the two speakers and the history of the Pain and Palliative care organisation. The speakers elaborated on the different facilities provided by their organisation and the work done by them since conception in the area of palliative care including free home visits by doctors and nurses, a respite care centre and other such work.
- They went on to explain the different symptoms that come with advanced dementia like pain, difficulty in feeding, issues with toileting, the challenges that come with being bed ridden and the immense burden this causes to caregivers.
- They then spoke about tips to deal with these issues, with examples of cases seen by them in the past.
- The caregivers in the audience asked questions about specific problems they were facing with incontinence and mobility and the facilitators responded with different solutions to these issues.
- The talk concluded with the caregivers expressing their gratitude for the tips given by the facilitators and also the information about such an organisation being operational in Hyderabad.
- The discussion was live on our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Ardsihyd/